Services for Veteran and Military Students
It is our honor and privilege to assist military-affiliated students as they transition
into college. This page will provide you with information
regarding the services and resources available to our military-affiliated students at Westmoreland.
Message from the President
"Westmoreland County Community College deeply appreciates your service to our country. Your sacrifice and hard work has not only benefited our nation but it has also molded you into a stronger individual who will be an asset to the Westmoreland community."
Dr. Tuesday Stanley
Admissions and Enrollment
Transfer in of military credits
Please submit your Joint Services Transcript to our admissions office. Credit is normally awarded based upon the recommendations of the American Council on Education.
Requesting military transcripts:
Credit for military experience and prior learning
Credit may be awarded to students who take CLEP or DSST exams in various college subjects. Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) provides upfront funding of test fees for eligible military members. Scores for all DANTES-funded exams are automatically reported on the Joint Services Transcript. For more information go to DANTES.
In-state rates, etc.
Westmoreland County Community College allows veterans, their spouses and dependent children, military personnel, their spouses and their dependent children and civilian personnel working on a military base, their spouses and their dependent children, who are admitted to a community college, to be charged the in-state, in-county rate, provided that the student is a resident of the state on the first day of the semester.
Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. For purposes of this policy, a veteran student is defined as an individual who:
- Served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard and was discharged/released from service under conditions other than dishonorable
- Has been admitted to Westmoreland County Community College
- Resides in Pennsylvania while attending Westmoreland County Community College
Veteran students who have met all other registration requirements will be given course scheduling preference and are permitted to register for classes one week prior to the regular registration periods as published in the academic calendar.
Eligible students must verify status by submitting documentation to the Westmoreland Registrar. Documentation may be either a DD-214 form or NGB-22 form which needs to be submitted one time only. Interested veterans should contact Janice T. Grabowski, Westmoreland director of Admissions/Registrar, at 724-925-4123 or email@example.com.
Whenever any member of the PA National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces of the United States shall be called or ordered to active duty, other than active duty for training, including, in case of members of the PA National Guard, active State duty, the college shall grant the member or member’s spouse a military leave or absence from their education. The member or member’s spouse shall receive an “M” (Military Withdrawal) on their transcript for all classes they are unable to complete due to a military leave of absence.
First-year seminar for military students
Westmoreland County Community College requires the First-Year Seminar to help first-semester students successfully acclimate to the college experience.
- One section of this course offered at the Youngwood Campus, PDV 101 BV, is designed just for our military and veteran students.
- This specific section will cover all of the material in the First-Year Seminar while integrating information on the services offered by our Military Student Services Team, Veterans Educational Benefits, the Military Student Lounge, military/veteran events, resources available outside of the college and more!
- Mention your military status to the advisor/counselor during your educational planning session so you can register for this particular section of the First-Year Seminar course.
VA Education Benefits and Financial Aid
Military students may be eligible for VA education benefits, federal or state financial aid and scholarships.
- College information for VA education and training benefits - Click Here
- College information for all forms of financial aid - Click Here
- Military tuition assistance for active duty service members
- PA National Guard Education Assistance Program
Each year alumni, friends, community members and corporate partners give funds to the Westmoreland County Community College Educational Foundation to provide scholarships for students. Any new or returning student is eligible to apply for foundation scholarships. Please complete the general scholarship application prior to the deadline to be considered for all of our Education Foundation scholarships. An example of a military-related scholarship is:
- Scobell Scholarship Honoring Navy Seals
Find more information on our scholarships page.
Military Student Support Service Team
- Pathways Advisors will assist new students with your transition to the Westmoreland experience and work with you throughout your educational journey. Please contact the location where you plan enroll in classes.
- Continuing students are assigned an advisor who specializes in working with our military students.
Advisors work in collaboration with admissions, financial aid, counseling and faculty to coordinate the enrollment and registration process and support you on your path to success.
Military Student Lounge
The primary purpose of the Military Student Lounge. located in Founders Hall Room 760, is to provide Westmoreland students who are veterans or otherwise military-affiliated (active duty, reservist or National Guard) a comfortable, quiet place for studying, relaxation and comradery.
This lounge may also serve as a meeting location for visits by local veteran service representatives. Scheduled meetings held in the Military Student Lounge will be promptly announced via signage. Any suggestions, questions, and concerns should be directed to Missy Kochuga at 724-925-6895 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other student resources
- Local: Westmoreland County Veterans Affairs
- State: PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- National: Veterans Benefits Administration
Military Student Events
Military Student Meet and Greet
An opportunity for military students to meet other military and veteran students, to learn more about Priority Registration, speak with staff about college services, see the Military Student Lounge (if you haven’t yet already), and enjoy some refreshments. Usually held once a semester in the fall and spring.
Veterans Day events
Through the years the college has held a variety of events to recognize the sacrifices of our military including a Veterans Day Appreciation Breakfast and various Veterans Day activities including cards of appreciation to our military students and refreshments and gifts in the military lounge.
You Served-Now We Serve You events
Representatives from various veterans providers come on campus to meet our military students and share information about their services.